What is the difference between OTT and IPTV? I believe that many home users will encounter this problem in the process of using the TV. First of all, it needs to be clear that for smart TV, OTT and IPTV are both a form of operation of content resources, and the two These forms can coexist on the same TV screen, and there is no choice between the two.
Conceptually distinguish between OTT and IPTV:
OTT: OTT is the abbreviation of Over The Top, which comes from sports such as basketball. It means "over the top pass", which means that basketball players (players) send back and forth over their heads to reach their destination. Now refers to providing various application services to users through the Internet. This kind of service is provided by a third party other than the operator, and many service providers provide services and billing directly to users, making the operator a mere "transmission pipeline".
IPTV: IPTV stands for interactive network television, which is a brand-new technology that uses broadband cable TV networks, integrates various technologies such as the Internet, multimedia, and communication, and provides a variety of interactive services including digital TV to home users. Users can enjoy IPTV services at home. IPTV is not only different from traditional analog cable TV, but also different from classic digital TV, because both traditional analog TV and classic digital TV have the characteristics of frequency division, timing, and one-way broadcasting. Although the classic digital TV has many technological innovations compared to the analog TV, it is only a change in the form of the signal and does not touch on the way of dissemination of the media content.
Differentiate OTT and IPTV from transmission/content/screen:
1. Transmission: IPTV uses the IP metropolitan area network, and OTT uses the Internet.
2. Content: IPTV is mainly the content of the licensee; OTT is the content of the licensee + video network + others.
3. Screen: IPTV is still only for TV screens; OTT has more Pad and Phone screens (so-called multi-screen interaction).
Distinguish OTT and IPTV from hardware and software implementation:
1. The realization of OTT requires a network TV box + TV; or smart TV including a network TV box function.
2. The realization of IPTV needs: the exclusive TV set-top box + TV (or smart TV) provided by the IPTV operator.